Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Going Political

I've decided that I need to start detailing my personal political platform, like I wish those running for offices would do. That way I can easily notify my representatives where THIS member of their constituency stands. It's going to require some research on my part though, so I'm not just spouting off half-cocked. I have a REAL issue with government budgets though. I temped for a state employer and the mentality and waste was astounding: you HAVE to spend x-amount or they'll automatically reduce your budget for next year.... At least that's what my long-time state employee co-worker told me as I was trying to weigh the cost effectiveness between continuing to use the wasteful fax machine in office (it was a roller style and was maddeningly inefficient) or purchasing a toner-style fax machine. Seriously, there's got to be a viable way to reward frugality while still enabling major equipment to be updated/replaced as necessary.

I remember when I was in high school and people kept spouting that a government job was the way to go because of its security. But at the same time the state employees were WEEKS without paychecks because the budget wasn't balancing and there wasn't money to pay them till it was straightened out. Years later, and a different state, and they're not giving COLA raises, they're cutting hours, they're cutting jobs....I've never seen security in government positions--well, unless you're higher up the food chain.

I'm all for a flat tax system. Everybody gets taxed the same portion of their income. NO LOOP HOLES. NO WRITE-OFFS. NO REFUNDS. I'm still musing over the grand scheme and logistics, but I'm thinking 5% total. 1% local, 1% state, 1% defense, 1% for the care and assistance of veterans, 1% federal. Period. No more, no less. No tax increases. No frivolous spending. Going to have to do with what you have just like any other individual or family.

Granted, this will drastically reduce the IRS' working force since it simplifies EVERYTHING, but they aren't the first industry to have a major layoff, and if they're industrious (which is NOT a stereotypical quality of government employees) they'll find a creative approach to finding new employ.

And I haven't come up with a good reason as to why the same flat tax couldn't be applied to businesses and corporations. Plain and simple--5% of income to the same breakdowns. No tax write-offs for charitable contributions, for business expenses, for business loss. No taxation on business property, etc. Simply 5% of income; No Loop Holes. No addendums.

What are YOUR thoughts?
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments: